HOME | PORTFOLIO | CONTACT | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | FOLLOW


A Bit of Bonsai Inspiration

Bonsais have been a big part of my life as they are one of my mom's passions. She has trees that she began training before I was born, and I've just started my first trees. Having gotten a little inspiration from the Potomac Bonsai Festival at the Arboretum in Washington, DC, I wanted to share the images I took with you as well!

My tree, the image to the left, still needs some trimming, but I wanted to avoid shocking it so we'll be moving in stages. It is a Dwarf Hinoki Cypres, an outdoor plant. I think it could really grow into something amazing! I just hope I have my mom's patience to tend to this beauty. I should have taken a before shot! I trimmed out quite a bit of leafage already and some smaller branches.

Following are just a small selection of the bonsai trees we viewed ad the Arboretum. Their artistry is amazing! One of the trees, the one Andy and I are pictured with, has been in training since 1625!


Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC

Photography by Kelly Heck - Bonsai at the Arboretum in Washington DC
The final photo, above, shows a Pinus Parviflora 'Miyajima', also knows as a Japanese white Pine. It has been in training since 1625 and was donated by Masaru Yamaki.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

4 responses to A Bit of Bonsai Inspiration

  1. Doug Land. says:

    You two are birds of a feather.

    And I'll be contacting you personally for some of the other photos.

  2. Sandy Eaton says:

    Great pictures, I have always loved the ones that I call a forest. But it would be hard to chose just one.

  3. Thanks for sharing all these pictures. Your bonsai will be great!

  4. Kelly Heck says:

    Thanks everybody! It is hard to narrow down your favorites, and this is only a small selection of the photos I took!