HOME | PORTFOLIO | CONTACT | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | FOLLOW


OMG Honey Bees!

Beekeeping in Taneytown, Maryland. It was amazing how close I could get (just a few inches) and only a couple bees gave me trouble. They could have cared less that I was there. The only caution I was given was not to block the entrance to the hive, then we might have had trouble. I learned today that all worker bees (foragers, nurse bees, guard bees) are girls, and the drones, who hang out and eat, are guys. Hmmm... interesting. Following are all the fine ladies of the hive... oh, and Mr. Beekeeper.

Photography by Kelly Heck - Honey Bees - Beekeeping Photography by Kelly Heck - Honey Bees - Beekeeping Photography by Kelly Heck - Honey Bees - Beekeeping Photography by Kelly Heck - Honey Bees - Beekeeping  Photography by Kelly Heck - Honey Bees - Beekeeping Photography by Kelly Heck - Honey Bees - Beekeeping

These were all taken outside with natural light around 4:00pm today. I handheld my camera, using my new Canon 100mm F/2.8 L-Series lens. <3

I have to thank my mom for taking some photos of the shoot in progress. I don't often see photos of myself working. How do I look in my Bee Suit?

Photography by Susie Heck - Kelly Heck

Saturday, September 3, 2011

5 responses to OMG Honey Bees!

  1. Douglas Heck says:

    Is it too hokey to say “Sweet!”? These are great close-ups of some very active bees. Good job!

  2. Chad says:

    You are far braver than I.

  3. That is awesome, I love how close you can get with your new camera!

  4. Bill Eaton says:

    I love your Bee pictures, you should print them and hang them somewhere. Great

  5. Kelly Heck says:

    Thank you everyone for the wonderful compliments. I'm excited to print these.

    It really was amazing how calm the bees were. I probably didn't even need to wear the suit. Though, I'm not saying I would try this again without a suit! :-)