HOME | PORTFOLIO | CONTACT | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | FOLLOW


Assateague Island Adventure

I had a great time chasing some wildlife at the Assateague Island National Seashore this past week and following are some shots of the wildlife and landscapes I enjoyed.

I met a nice lady who found a piece of wood washed up on the beach, and attached to it were about a dozen of these white and orange clams, still alive.

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Sea Life

I went out on the beach for a few sunrises and this little bird, called a Sanderling, was very friendly, occupied with snacking on a nearby horseshoe crab and then resting in the sunlight.

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Sea Bird - Sanderling (Calidris alba) Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Sea Bird - Sanderling (Calidris alba) Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Sea Bird - Sanderling (Calidris alba) Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Sea Bird - Sanderling (Calidris alba)

This is one of my favorite images from the set. I was trying to capture a calm, relaxing wave. Waves at Assateague are fairly small, but with Hurricane Irene having just passed, there was a little more oomph to capture.

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Ocean Wave

This is the view of the marsh you have as you cross the bridge onto the island. I was headed out for lunch and several horses were dozing out in the grasses (on the other side), and I really liked the setting on the other side of the road. I find it funny how the nice scene is usually the one you don't notice.

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Marsh

And then one morning, I finally caught a couple ponies out on the beach. Each morning I had gotten up to go out to the beach for the sunrise, I saw fresh tracks on the dunes, so I decided to walk out a bit earlier, about 6:20 am. This mother pony and her foal seemed a bit sleepy, or perhaps just enjoying the cool ocean breeze.

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Wild Ponies - Mother and Foal Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Wild Ponies - Mother and Foal

This sunrise on this particular morning was beautiful. The sun was hidden behind some low clouds and began to peak through as a few minutes passed. It reminds me of cotton candy. Mmmm...

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Ocean Sunrise Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Wild Ponies - Mother and Foal Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Wild Pony

On the last full day, a dark storm swept out over the ocean. I was sure it would hit us, but it stayed out and a following storm brought a little rain and a lot of wind, followed by a cold front. What we came to find out was that this was the storm that swept back to Ocean City the evening of September 15th causing a tornado! And we slept through it... or at least I did. :-)

Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Ocean Rain Storm Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Ocean Rain Storm Photography by Kelly Heck - Assateague Island, Maryland - Ocean Sunset

Saturday, September 17, 2011

2 responses to Assateague Island Adventure

  1. Sandy Eaton says:

    Kelly, I love every shot, it makes me think I need to rethink my decision to stop going to Assaateague. Maybe I am not to old it sure brings back a lot of memories.

  2. Serena says:

    Gorgeous images! And so jealous that you saw PONIES ON THE BEACH!