HOME | PORTFOLIO | CONTACT | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | FOLLOW


First Snow of 2009

Photo by Kelly HeckAs some of you know I'm working on a body of Atmospheric Landscapes. The first snow of the year was the perfect time to get to work. It was snowing when I woke up Saturday morning and didn't stop till the sun had set. I went out for about 1.5 hours (all I could bear being cold, wet and windy outside) and got some images I'm really happy about. I also went back out this morning to see what I could get on my way into work. All of the photos were taken in and around Reisterstown, Maryland.

This is the image I am most excited about, but like many photos, the web, nor the tiny image, do this photo justice. I love the simplicity of it and the way the snow settled (as well as where it didn't settle) to create gradation and texture.

Photo by Kelly Heck
Rt. 140

Photo by Kelly Heck
These tall power line towers are so interesting to me and I always think about the kind of photos I could get with them with a person as the main subject or anything in general. This morning as I drove by them it was too awesome! Everything is in shades of gray and blue and it helped them to stand out but also blend in. To me it was perfect, because I knew that with green/brown grass and more visible trees, this image would have been boring.

Photo by Kelly Heck
Photo by Kelly Heck
Vines and tangled weeds often make me think of Dr. Seuss. I almost missed this maze of jungle as I rushed back to my car to warm up and find the next interesting scene.

The real reason I went out to take photos in the snow was to capture the Liberty Reservoir. To be honest, I was not very happy with the reservoir photographs, but here are a couple of my favorites from that location. It was so much work to get to these spots, and quite dangerous. I realized that if I slipped and toppled in, I would have to swim all the way out to the marshy edges to pull myself out (if swimming is even possible at this temperature).
Photo by Kelly Heck
Photo by Kelly Heck

I'm sure by the time I get home today, most of the snow will have melted or become mush, so I'm really happy I went out. I definitely got a couple or few photos I'm really proud of and will be including in my portfolio!

Sunday, December 6, 2009

2 responses to First Snow of 2009

  1. Wonderful Kelly! They look supernatural in some ways, it's like you can hear the silence of the snow.

  2. Sandy Eaton says:

    All the photographs are great, some I like more than others but like you the first is my favorite.